Saturday, 1st Week of Advent (8th December, 2018)
First Reading: Gen 3: 91-15, 20 (He will crush your head)
Second Reading: Eph 1: 3-6, 11-12 (God chose us)
Gospel: Lk 1: 26-38 (Rejoice, full of grace)
Today as we celebrate the feast of the immaculate conception of the blessed virgin Mary all the three readings teach us about how God is Saving us from the first sin and guiding us to be spotless.
In the first reading it’s about the first sin committed by Adam and eve and subsequently when God clarifies with them, we see that Adam blames eve and Eve blames the serpent
In the second reading, St. Paul tells us about the love of the father who sent his only son to save us from the original sin. Our father chose us to be holy and spotless. We are the chosen ones through Christ even before the world was made.
While in the Gospel, Angel Gabriel was sent by God the father to Mary the virgin to announce the birth of Christ who was then betrothed to Joseph.
The sequence goes like this.
Angel Gabriel says:
- “Rejoice! you are favoured by God”
- “Do not be afraid”
- What is going to happen is then explained
- The mission of Jesus is narrated
- “I am still a virgin; how is it possible?”
Angel Gabriel Continues:
- “Holy spirit will come upon you”
- “Power of the most high will cover you”
- “Child will be called the Son of God”
- Elizabeth her cousin, who is old was considered barren is now going to become a mother
- “Nothing is impossible to God”
Mary Accepts Saying:
- “I am the hand maid of the Lord”
- “Let what you said happen to me”
Knowing our sinful nature, God the father is making way for the birth of our saviour in God’s unique way.
Mama Mary, we are so thankful for your accepting Gods call, knowing very well that the journey you have to travel will be difficult still you accepted it for our sake. It is your acceptance Mama, that will lead us to our salvation.
We promise to make way for the arrival of our saviour in our hearts. Amen.